Updates

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything here. So here’s how life has been going.

The first quarter of school is almost over now and my prediction was incorrect. I haven’t done any more programming than I did during the summer. I’ll attribute this to homework.

I decided to prove to myself that I’m capable of a 4.0 gpa and it’s working out so far. In years past I haven’t been doing all of my work on time or really trying very hard; school isn’t about grades, it’s about learning.

Speaking of school, I’m in a new class in which the students are required to complete a capstone project. My project is starting a team and competing in the First Robotics Competition. I’m extremely exited to start designing and building but for now we have to apply for grants and learn how to use some software.

Recently I acquired an old computer and I’ve been setting it up as a server. So far it runs a web server and a minecraft server. Its URL is mc.fsmv.co.cc. When installing the OS I ran into some problems, this was fun to fix. In the process I learned a lot about GRUB and the process Linux goes through when it boots.

Tonight is homework amnesty night so I’m going to use my extra time to write some essays for my college applications. Hopefully I’ll have time to re-configure the plugins and permissions for the minecraft server (last time I restarted the entire directory was deleted because for some reason the wrong user owned it). There’s so much to do and so little time to do it.

P.S. - I’m not sure I’m going to continue development on Ep1c G4m3. When I started writing it, I wasn’t aware of the proper way to do 2D graphics. This means the code is organized weirdly and it all extends the wrong class. To fix this I would have to re-write nearly the entire thing, just to get the same effect with better performance. To be honest, the game isn’t that important to me and I’ve already learned a lot about graphics in Java. I mean look at DON’T_DIE, I created that out of things I learned from Ep1c G4m3. What I’m trying to say is: Ep1c G4m3 has served its purpose. It could be time to move it over to the project graveyard.

Categories: Project Updates | Tags: , , , , , , , | Comments RSS

Post a Comment

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>
LaTeX is also allowed inside \( \) or $$ $$ tags.